- Tips & Tricks
How To Run An Effective Meeting
How often do we experience a conference call or meeting that goes astray? How many times have you been in a meeting where one or more of the following issues take place?
No clear agenda.
Technology is not working.
Meeting doesn’t start or end on time.
Leader allows off-topic conversations (rabbit trails).
One person taking over the meeting (we all know that guy).
Decision makers are not in the meeting (requires a 2nd mtg).
Here are a few helpful tips for orchestrating an organized & timely meeting:
Send an Invitation
– Specify the date, time, and meeting length.
– Include an agenda and corresponding discussion times.
– Note the objectives of the meeting & any necessary background information.
– Ensure key decision makers are attending the meeting.
During the Meeting
– Start on time!
– Establish a scribe to take meeting minutes.
– Limit technology usage – no texting, no unrelated emailing.
– Review the agenda.
– Review past meeting minutes and check the status of action items.
– Eliminate off topic discussions immediately.
– Agree on action items, the persons responsible, and required completion dates.
– When is the follow-up meeting?
– Send out detailed meeting minutes – Did the meeting meet the objectives?
– Encourage additions or clarifications to the meeting minutes.
Capex is committed to helping our customers become better and be more able contributors in their organizations. Following these guidelines will help ensure that you are recognized as a true professional in conducting an effective meeting.