- Tips & Tricks
How To Run An Effective Meeting
How to Run an Effective Meeting
How often do we experience a conference call or meeting that goes astray?
Below are some guidelines to help ensure that you are recognized as a true professional in conducting an effective meeting. This is a sure way to advance in your organization.
A mini-poll of co-workers and customers regarding the annoying problems/issues seen during poorly run meetings is below:
- Lack of Preparation
– No Agenda
– Technology Not Working
– Does Not Start On Time
– Room Not Ready
- Leader allows off topic conversations (rabbit trails).
- One person taking over the meeting (we all know that guy).
- Decision makers are not in the meeting (requires a 2nd mtg).
- Meeting Runs Over Allotted Time Allowed
Here are a few helpful tips for orchestrating an organized & timely meeting:
- Send an Invitation
– Specify the date & time plus meeting length.
– Include an agenda and corresponding discussion times.
– Note the objectives of the meeting & any necessary background.
– Insure key decision makers are attending the meeting.
- During the Meeting
-Start on time!
-Establish a scribe to take meeting minutes.
-Ban technology usage- no texting, no emailing! Laptops closed please!
-Review past meeting minutes and check the status of action items.
-Eliminate off topic or off agenda discussions immediately.
- Wrap Up
-Agree on action items, the persons responsible, and required completion dates.
-When is the follow up meeting?
-Send out detailed meeting minutes – Did the meeting meet the objectives?
-Encourage additions or clarifications to the meeting minutes.
Capex is committed to helping our customers become better and be more able contributors in their organizations.